Before you’re ready to list and sell your home, you need to make sure that the functionality and appearance of your home is top notch. It’s important that, when preparing your home to sell, you think like a buyer; turn your home into a home that you’d want to buy. Here are 10 things you need to do before you sell your home.
Outside of your home (exterior of the home (paint/ siding), lawn, flower beds, backyard, driveway, walkways, etc.). Curb appeal is key when trying to sell your home; it’s the first thing buyers will see when they look at your property, so it’s important to make a good impression with the outside of your home.
- Cut the grass at least once a week, and be sure to water your lawn and plants regularly to keep them looking lively and beautiful
- Depending on the season: rake up any leaves that have fallen, or clear your driveway and walkway of snow and ice
- Add potted plants and flowers near the entrance of your home to make the property seem more inviting to potential buyers; look for seasonally appropriate flowers for your area, i.e. ones that will survive the outside weather, to be sure that your plants will enhance the look of your home
- De-clutter your yard and driveway by removing cars and toys from the area. You want your property to appear clean and well-kept
- Be sure to repaint, or replace if necessary, any outside trim or siding that looks old or worn
Inside of your home (flooring, walls, systems, etc.). Once buyers are drawn in by your curb appeal, you need to keep them interested and show them the beauty of your interior.
- Clean all of your carpets and hardwood floors, in every room. Stained carpet and dull or scratched wood flooring are a turnoff for most buyers who are looking for a “move-in ready” home
- Clean all furniture and fixtures in your home, including chairs, tables, beds, couches, lamps, and ceiling fans
- Repaint your walls and ceilings, especially if any of the paint is chipping or wearing away. If your walls and ceilings don’t require fresh paint, make sure you still wash them down with a soap water mixture to remove fingerprints or other smudges.
- Fix any non-working home systems (plumbing, electric, heating/cooling), and update older systems that aren’t as cost-effective or don’t work as well (we’re all about being green and efficient these days!)
- Make sure your home is well lit for pictures and showings. If you don’t have a lot of windows, add lights under cabinets and in dark corners; this will increase the inviting-ness of your home.